Performance problems with MailTags + Mail under Mountain Lion

Mac Otten

27 Jul, 2012 01:18 PM

After I installed Mountain Lion, OS X Mail is really, really sluggish and is severely compromising my work efficiency. Although I have 18,000 emails, Mail under Lion was not a problem. I am not sure if Mail/ML is interacting with MailTags or not to create the sluggishness--I doubt. However, I wanted to see if you have had similar reports or whether you know of "next steps" that I could take to improve the situation (e.g., I do not know how to reinstall just the Mail part of Mountain Lion).

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards. Mac Otten

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Scott on 27 Jul, 2012 02:22 PM

Hi Mac

It could be that it is currently reindexing the messages.

Give it a bit of time and if the performance doesn't improve, let me know

Scott

2. 2 Posted by Trevor Baret on 02 Aug, 2012 04:19 AM

I have had similar problems with sluggishness, even after four days...

Also, if I try to drag an email into one of my folders, the folder name link flickers and is almost impossible to "catch". I end up having to right click and "move to" ... This is time consuming and frustrating

Everything else about Mountain Lion is great, as far as I have tried it so far...

Trevor

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Scott on 03 Aug, 2012 03:07 AM

Hello

I am trying to track this down.

A couple of diagnosis would help

If you let Mail sit overnight how does it performance and memory usage change.

Then if you disable accounts, one at a time, how does performance and memory change.

The other thing that may help when you are having performance problems is to take a sample (in activity Viewer) and send it in.

4. 4 Posted by mac.w.otten on 03 Aug, 2012 01:10 PM

I had to take my computer to the Apple Store when I had this problem. The Apple Genius went into a couple of Libraries and moved the files to the desktop. Since all my mail was on gmail or iCloud IMAP servers, the Mail mailboxes were recreated. Sorry that I did not memorize which libraries were emptied to start over.

I assume that one of the Mail store files had become corrupted.

Mac Otten

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Scott on 07 Aug, 2012 12:22 AM

Hello Mac

Is the problem now resolved?

Scott

6. 6 Posted by mac.w.otten on 07 Aug, 2012 02:37 AM

Scott,

I took my computer to the Apple Genius Bar. They dumped all my Mail files and started over. Fortunately, I use IMAP Google and iCloud, so it was easy to re-populate.

I never knew whether the original corruption of files was due to MailTags or not.

MailTags seems to be working fine now.

Thanks.

Mac Otten

7. 7 Posted by Michael Tolson on 07 Aug, 2012 10:54 PM

I have exactly the same problem. Accessing mail pegs cpu at 100%+. Only after upgrading to ML. Would deeply appreciate recipe

8. 8 Posted by Barbara Wiercio... on 13 Aug, 2012 11:30 AM

I have the same problem and the Mail is not responding at all making the whole system crash. I have to shut down the computer every hour or so as it keeps going into overload with the fan whirring away and the apple of doom spinning. When viewing messages, I can see icons from the menu bar which is very very strange. Sometimes I can't even type messages as it will not let me do anything.

It has only been happening after upgrading to ML

Please advise if you have a solutions.

Regards,
    Barbara

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Scott on 13 Aug, 2012 03:27 PM

We have confirmed this as a issue that has affected a small number of users. We believe we have tracked down and resolved the issue in the following build.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113086/Prerelease/MT3/MailTags3.1.3b1963.dmg

If you could test it out and provide confirmation we will be able to close this problem

Scott

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Scott on 14 Aug, 2012 06:14 PM

Hello

Any word back on this new build? -- I am eager to close the issue and get a release out.

Thanks

11. Scott closed this discussion on 27 Aug, 2012 03:59 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Indev please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac